Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Theme for 2011

I've just been introduced to the concept of a New Year's theme.  Instead of setting lots of individual goals, a theme is larger, umbrella goal that would direct one's decisions in the coming year.  Does that make sense?  It did to me, so I've set my mine for this year.  My theme will be PRESENT.  

I don't want my kids to remember me as distant and distracted, so I resolve to be more present in 2011.  In the past, my resolutions have focused more on productivity.  I'm sure I'm not the only stay-at-home mom who tends to overcompensate in the productivity department.  You know what I'm talking about, right?  Never mind that I accomplish more before breakfast than most people do all day, I "don't work."  I've come to realize, though, that the most important thing that I can produce on this earth is a love for God, His Word, and His church in my children.  I have to be present to do that.

The Dilemma and Some Proposed Solutions

How can I get everything done and still be present?  My commitments to God and my husband are preeminent.  I'm not willing to compromise on nourishing meals.  Home school must go on.  The house needs a keeper.  It seems like a daunting dilemma, but here are some steps I've taken so far:

  • Waking up earlier.  Getting up earlier allows me to get the big stuff out of the way.  I start the day with Bible study and prayer, and getting up an hour earlier allows me to get my daily household chores done before the kids get up.  This way, I'm more relaxed during our group time in the morning.  Instead of hurrying through school so that I can get to my housework, menu planning, bills, or whatever, we can cover material more thoroughly and can enjoy more discussion on topics that are especially interesting to them.  I never thought I'd be a before 6am riser, but I've enlisted an accountability partner to text me at 5:30, and it's working out well so far.  (I recommend the Maximize Your Mornings blog series and free eBook at Inspired to Action.)
  • Continuing with FlyLady.  If you're not familiar with FlyLady's system for creating housekeeping routines, I highly recommend that you check it out.  I started in October and I'm baby-stepping toward a home that practically cleans itself.  An ordered house means a cool, collected mom that has time to have fun with her kids!   
  • Speaking of fun, I'm really trying to seize more opportunities to just be silly and have fun with my children.  I tend toward "all business," and I'm pretty sure my kids think I'm way too serious.  How hard could it be to lighten up and have some "fun mom" moments?  
  • Prayer, study, and more prayer! 


In case you're wondering, I do have some food goals, too, but maybe that will be another post...
What are some of your goals for the new year?





2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of a blog post I read a while back about intentional parenting!! about BEING there while parenting. Okay, she worded it a lot better than me... but hopefully you get the gist!

    My goals are less computer time.... the computer is very addicting. I need to get back on a schedule.... but with Ryan home all the time it's hard. Really hard.

    --Candice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way intentional parenting sounds! When I was thinking of a theme, I wanted the opposite of distant and that's what I came up with. This past year I've really struggled with being a "not now, Mommy's busy" type, and I'm ready to nip it before I waste any more time. They're growing up too fast!

    Less computer time was a biggie for me last year. Something about being pregnant and tired was just very conducive to internet surfing!

    ReplyDelete