Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chocolate Sourdough Cookies

If you don't like sourdough, you won't like these cookies.  They have a very distinct tang that works really well with the chocolate (or at least we think so). My kids and even my normally anti-chocolate husband love these!

I bet you think I really like this plate.  Well, I do.

1 cup sourdough starter
1 3/4 cups sprouted or all-purpose flour (I used AP; I can't get sprouted locally and shipping is pricey)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil or softened butter
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup rapadura (or sweetener of choice)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract






In a large bowl cream the butter or with the rapadura. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and the sourdough starter. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Mix the dry ingredients gently into the wet and you'll get soft, high rising cookies.  Over mix and you'll end up with flat ones.  Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.  

Variation:  I think these would be really good with Amish friendship bread starter in place of the sourdough starter.  I haven't actually tried it yet, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  It might be wise to reduce the sugar slightly if you try it.  








This post is part of Tuesday Twister at GNOWFGLINS.





1 comment:

  1. They do look so yummy!! I love those plates too. Can I have them back ;-)

    ReplyDelete