Sunday, August 29, 2010

New Fave Sourdough Biscuit and Menu Plan

I've found a sourdough biscuit recipe that we love!  I tried these from Sarah's Musings last Saturday when I had a hankering for some biscuits and didn't want to wait for a soaking period.  The only modifications I made were to sub organic palm shortening for lard (still haven't rendered that pig fat), and I dipped the biscuits in bacon grease on both sides before baking instead of brushing them with butter (yes, I did!).  They were SO good.  I felt sort of naughty using all purpose even though my sourdough is whole wheat, so I decided to modify the recipe a bit this morning to include a soaking period for all whole wheat flour (since sourdough makes quick work of phytates, you wouldn't have to soak as long as you would with other acid mediums, so still not a terribly long wait).  They turned out fabulous, so this may be my new go-to biscuit recipe.  I imagine I'll still make Sarah's white flour version every once in a while, too, when I have a hankering and just can't wait ; ) 

Sunday, 8/29
Soaked oatmeal
Baked chicken, rice, gravy, sweet potatoes, sourdough biscuits

Monday, 8/30
German pancakes, pure Grade B maple syrup
Pizza w/ sourdough crust,  fried cabbage

Tuesday, 8/31
Oatmeal raisin muffins
Tortilla beef skillet, black beans

Wednesday, 9/1
Baked oatmeal
Bar-b-que chicken sandwiches on homemade buns, broccoli

Thursday, 9/2
Toasted buns, eggs 
Chicken and rice, cornbread, cream peas

Friday, 9/3
Scrambled eggs, sourdough biscuits
Goulash, mashed potatoes, baby lima beans  


Saturday, 9/4 
Sourdough pancakes
Leftover buffet 

No comments:

Post a Comment