Friday, July 2, 2010

Orange Coconut Smoothie

Smoothies are my preferred vehicle for probiotics.  They're easy, yummy, and kid friendly.  Most mornings I throw some variation of yogurt and/or buttermilk that I culture at home, fresh juices, frozen berries, etc. into the blender to serve with breakfast.  This morning's variation was really yummy!  I didn't actually measure anything, so the amounts are approximations.  I also didn't get a chance to take a picture; I didn't know these would be so share-worthy, plus we drink them down fast before all the nutrients in the fresh juice are lost.  Here's the (approximate) formula:

1 cup (give or take) plain yogurt or cultured buttermilk
1/2 - 3/4 cup milk (you could omit milk and increase yogurt if you like it tangier)  
juice of 3 oranges (about 3/4 cup)
2 ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 or so teaspoons of honey or Pure Organic Maple Syrup (grade B is best)
1-2 tablespoons Coconut Cream Concentrate

Put all of the ingredients except the coconut cream into your blender and turn it on.  While it's running, spoon in the coconut cream.  You could also super charge these with a pastured egg yolk or two.  This made about 28 oz. for me this morning (as I said, I didn't measure), so it's definitely enough for either two generous adult portions or two adult and a couple of small kid servings.  You could scale up or down to suit your needs. 

This post is part of Fight Back Friday at Food Renegade.

2 comments: